MULTINATIONAL LAKES EDWARD AND ALBERT INTEGRATED FISHERIES AND WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (LEAF II) PROJECT
Overall Project Objective: “is to sustainably increase the lakes’ fish productivity by promoting good fish capture and management practice, restoration of the lakes catchments and improvement of water quality on the shared lakes’ water resources”.
- Fisheries Resources Development and Management
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Project Management and Coordination
COMPONENT 1: FISHERIES RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
- Component aims to promote sustainable management and productivity of the various species of fish in the two Lakes for the common benefit of the two countries.
- This component has four sub-components namely:
- Updating and harmonization of policies, legislation and regulatory frameworks,
- Development of a fisheries management information system,
- Bilateral monitoring, control and surveillance, and
- Local communities adopt responsible fishing practices and modern processing techniques.
COMPONENT 2: INTEGRATED WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
Component consists of 5 closely related sub components:
- Coordination capacities of NELSAP, Uganda and DRC strengthened and formalized,
- Integrated Lake Management Plans (ILMP) updated and adopted by Uganda and DRC,
- Establishment of a Basin Management Authority/ Organization for LEAB,
- Water resources quantity and quality monitoring strengthened, and
- Community-based integrated CMPs prepared and implemented in selected watersheds.
COMPONENT 3: PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND COORDINATION
- The component is to provide resources necessary for the effective implementation, coordination, communication, monitoring and evaluation of the project activities.
- This component has two sub-components namely:
- Project Management, and
- Monitoring and Evaluation.