Projects being implemented by Water for Production Department
Bulk water supply strategy of pumping water from large water sources - The aim of this programme is to transfer water from areas of plenty to areas of scarcity in order to ensure adequate supply of water all year round for multi-purpose use. This is a countrywide strategy that will result in construction of bulk water supply schemes in various areas to ensure easy and reliable access to water for productive uses. Construction of the pilot scheme in Rakai District commences in the 4th quarter of FY2010/11.
Strategic Interventions Program for Export Promotion in the Agricultural Sector - Under the above program, 52 valley tanks have been constructed and commissioned. These are of capacities ranging from 6000 m3 to 10,000 m3 at parish level in the districts of Luwero (9No.), Nakasongola (8No.), Mbarara (8No.), Kyenjojo (1No.), Rakai (9No.), Masindi (8No) and Sembabule District (9No.). These valley tanks have greatly improved the water for livestock storage in those respective areas.
Rehabilitation of old dams- The Government is also in the process of rehabilitating old dams as a means of increasing water capacities in dry areas. So far Kakinga dam and Bwanalaki dam in Sembabule district have been successfully rehabilitated and rehabilitation of Kailong dam in Karamoja region is substantially complete.
Construction of dams and valley tanks - The Government through the Ministry of Water and Environment is implementing several activities to increase water storage for agricultural and multipurpose use throughout the country. Construction of the facilities below is ongoing in various districts around the country and upon completion; all the facilities shall create storage capacity of over 10 million cubic meters.
- i. Construction of Rubaare valley tank in Ntungamo District
- ii. Construction of Kailong dam in Kotido District
- iii. Construction of Nshenyi Valley tank in Ntungamo District
- iv. Construction of Leye dam in Apac District
- v. Construction of Mayikalo dam in Sembabule District
- vi. Extension of a piped water supply scheme in Sembabule District
- vii. Construction of Lutunku and Kisozi valley tanks in Sembabule District
- viii. Construction of Obwongyerero and Kagamba valley tank in Isingiro District
- ix. Construction of Kagango dam in Isingiro District
- x. Construction of Akwera dam in Lira District
- xi. Construction of Longoromit dam in Kaabong District
- xii. Construction of Kobebe dam in Moroto District
- xiii. Construction of Arechet dam in Moroto District
- xiv. Construction of Kawomeri dam in Abim District
- xv. Construction of Olelpec and Olamia dam in Apac District<
- xvi. Establishment of appropriate management systems and enhancing capacity for key stakeholders in water for production management for the constructed facilities.